So you accidentally deleted your Whatsapp chat history. You may have deleted important stuff from work or some of your school assignments or it may be a memorable moment with some loved one that you just lost. And now you are looking for a way to recover those chats. Well, that is exactly what this article is about. And we got some ways that will surely help you out.
Method 1: Recover WhatsApp Chat History (past 7 days)
You can recover all of your deleted chats on WhatsApp easily from the chat backup. You do need to back up your chats in order to do so. But in case you have deleted some of the messages without backup or deleted any chat history you can still do it, thanks to WhatsApp’s automatic backups.
WhatsApp makes sure to backup all of your chat every day at around 4 am on your local time without any action from your part. This is then stored in your Phone’s internal memory or on your SD card.
Restoring your data is quite simple. Here is what you need to do:
- Uninstall WhatsApp. It might sound strange but that’s the first step.
- Install the app again.
- As the installation occurs, you will be asked if you want to restore your chat history.
- Choose the Restore option.
You will find that all the chats of the last 7 days to be restored.
Method 2: Recover WhatsApp Chat History (7 days+)
This method allows you to recover less recent chat history. To proceed, follow the steps below:
- Just like before, uninstall WhatsApp.
- You need to go to the WhatsApp backup folder or database folder. For that follow the path- /sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases folder. The folder may also be located in your internal memory according to your settings.
- Choose a backup file that you wish to recover. Change the name of the file from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt7” to msgstore.db.crypt7
- Now, reinstall WhatsApp.
- When asked to restore your chat history, choose the Restore option.
Restoring with backups has the following disadvantages:
- When you restore old chats, current chats that are not backed up will be uninstalled.
- If your SD card is corrupted then you can’t restore the backups in it.
- If you change your phone number then you won’t be able to restore the chats from your older phone number.
- A manual backup will overwrite the automatic backup file.
Method 3: Recover WhatsApp Chat Entirely
Well, there are is no way to get your old messages back while retaining all your current chats. That is one of the disadvantages of the above two methods. But you could do a manual backup to create a copy of your current chats.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Go right ahead and open WhatsApp.
- Open Whatsapp’s Menu.
- Select the Settings option.
- Choose the Chat Settings option.
- Select the Backup conversations option.
- You just did a manual backup. It will be given a name like “msgstore.db.crypt7”.
Change it to msgstore.db.crypt7.new” or “msgstore.db.crypt7.now
Method 4: Recover Deleted WhatsApp Chat Messages
Sometimes you might have deleted some important chat without a manual or automatic backup. In such cases, you can use recovery software on PC’s to restore the chat history by connecting your phone to it.
This is possible because the chats you accidentally deleted will be stored in your SD card or internal memory. But be quick though, they will there only until new files arrive. The files get overwritten after a while.
Here we Android Data recovery tool. Follow the steps below
- Get to your phone’s USB debugging option and turn it on.
- Tun Android Data Recovery on your computer and then connect your phone using a USB. the app will connect to your phone.
- Now, select the kind of data you want to recover. WhatsApp messages and documents in your case.
- Click next and the app will begin to scan your phone.
- When you get the search results, click the Recover option.
The article is an easy guide that will help you restore your lost Whatsapp messages. It is nothing complex. So, go on right ahead and get those chats back. I hope you have recovered WhatsApp chat history by now. Let me know if you are facing any kind of issues in between.